ACAMS Vegas: Make the Most of Your Experience
Conference season is upon us! We’re kicking off the fall conference season at ACAMS 15th Annual AML & Financial Crime Conference in Las Vegas. The Banker’s Toolbox team may be from Texas, but this conference ain’t our first rodeo. Here are some tips for making the most out of your conference experience.
Tips for Conference Attendees
- Strategize sessions. At large conferences, it can be difficult to choose which concurrent sessions to attend. Take a moment to look over the agenda, prioritize topics and use the conference mobile app to build your own schedule. Remember, many of the sessions are being recorded so you won’t really have to miss them.
- Learn something new. Take a critical look at the topics being covered. Your first instinct may be to attend a session on a topic about which you’re already an expert. Conferences are all about learning, so don’t be afraid to branch out and attend a session that supplements your day-to-day activities.
- Attend the networking events. Unless you’re very outgoing (or it’s happy hour), these can be tempting to skip. However, we suggest you attend! You don’t have to be the life of the party to make meaningful connections at a networking event.
- Snack smart. Conference food can be great. However, if you’re anything like the Banker’s Toolbox penguins, you’re a big snacker. Stop by a convenience store and stock up on your favorite munchies, then throw them your bag for when energy is dwindling.
- Don’t ditch the program. The conference program and agenda is often a great resource. Don’t toss it! You may refer back to it when trying to remember the names of presenters or that vendor that you met.
- Take good notes. Fall is here, so channel your inner student and remember to take good notes! You may not write down everything you hear, but try and catch some keywords or key points that jog your memory when you get back to the office.
- Bring your badge. Your name badge is not only your identifier, but it can also score you some freebies. At the ACAMS conference, vendors can scan your name badge and you’ll be automatically entered into their giveaway.
- Join the conversation. At conferences, communication is key. Many presenters encourage questions. And oftentimes if you’re wondering something, someone else is, too! You can also join the conversation on social media by looking for the conference hashtag on Twitter or Facebook.
- Explore your surroundings. If you’re interested in exploring the city, chat with the hotel front desk to see what activities or restaurants they recommend. You’re here to learn, but it can’t hurt to explore! Just remember to stay safe if you’re walking around after hours.
- Meet the exhibitors. The exhibit hall is more than just a place to score free swag (although there’s no shortage of cool stuff). Visit with the exhibitors to find out what they’re all about. If there’s a company whose name you recognize, stop by meet the team!
Are you at ACAMS in Vegas? Stop by booth 501 for a chance to meet our team and score some free stuff. We can’t wait to see you!