Make the most of your conference experience with these eight Successful conference tips.
Conferences are a great way to network and get to know your fellow industry professionals, law enforcement personnel and anyone else you may work with in the financial industry. While fun and educational, conferences can also be overwhelming. How do you make sure to get the most out of your conference experience without overextending yourself?
Here are eight successful conference tips to help you make the most of conferences this year:
- Bring your badge. For most conferences, your name badge is your ticket in. Plus, it helps other conference attendees identify you. At the ACAMS conference, vendors can also scan your name badge and you’ll be automatically entered into their giveaway. Who doesn't love more free stuff?!
- Put together a schedule. At large conferences, it can be difficult to choose which concurrent sessions to attend. Take a moment to look over the agenda, prioritize topics and highlight specific speakers you want to see. Don't forget to use the conference mobile app, if there is one, to build your own schedule. Remember, many of the sessions are being recorded so you can watch them back on your own time. Make sure you note the ones that you may benefit most from being there in person versus watching online later.
- Step out of your comfort zone. It’s easy to go to sessions where you already know the material being discussed. The great thing about conferences is they cover a variety of topics, some you may not know too much about. Try to make it a point to add at least one session on a new topic to your schedule. You never know when you may come across a topic that could lead to your next area of expertise!
- Be a good student. While you think you’re absorbing all of this great information by sitting in on these sessions, you’re bound to forget something. Make sure to pick up a notepad and take good notes throughout the sessions. Not only will it be useful to look back on later, but you can help fill in a co-worker who may not have been able to attend the conference.
- Grow your network. We know networking events can be a little intimidating, but remember that everyone is in the same boat. You’re at a conference to get to know your industry co-workers so make sure you don’t miss these events. It’s a relaxed setting where you can discuss issues you’ve come across in the field and share ideas to see how your peers are solving them. Plus, you never know who you will meet that could lead to your next career opportunity or even help fill an open position on your team.
- Fuel your mind and body. Conferences are usually great about having plenty of food options around meals, but what about those hours in between when you’re walking from session to session? Keep your brain fueled and your mind focused with some healthy snack options in between meals. Grab a piece of fresh fruit, a bag of nuts or a pack of beef jerky to keep your body fueled and at your most productive. Also – don’t forget to stay hydrated! Pack a water bottle and keep it filled throughout the day.
- Be resourceful. Conference staffs work hard to put together a useful program and agenda for you. Don’t be quick to throw it away. It usually has valuable information, including presenter and attendee contact information, so you can follow up with any questions you may have on a topic when you get back to the office.
- Stop by the Abrigo booth. We’ll be making the conference circuit this fall so stop by our booth and learn about our growing suite of software products.
What other conference tips do you have? Don't forget to stay up-to-date with our own industry-leading conferences and workshops.