You're all signed up to take the CAMS exam. Great! You're taking the next steps to advance your career and join a select group of certified AML professionals. How will you prepare for the exam now that you've signed up? This compilation of best practices and expert tips for studying for the CAMS exam can help.
Most of us haven't studied since high school or college. Thinking back to your academic days, do you remember what it was like to take a test or write a lengthy paper? Did you excel at memorization or feel stressed? If the latter was more common, how did you handle it?
After determining what type of student you used to be, think about ways your life after school has impacted your study habits. You may have picked up some good practices during your career that you can implement to help be a better student. For example, you may feel more confident researching topics online or have more resources available to you now. Determining what kind of student you are today can help you identify strategies that will work for you as you prepare for the CAMS exam. The following questions can also help define your study style before you get to work:
- Will you begin studying right away or wait until the last minute to cram? Either way is acceptable, as long as you understand what works best for you.
- Do you learn best by reading and re-reading, or do you use flashcards? If so, there are several online ACAMS flashcard sources, some free and some available as a mobile app.
- Are you memorizing the words or making keyword connections when reading? If you're not familiar with keyword connections, try out the technique.
- Do you learn better by reading, or would you rather listen to an audio recording? You may rather listen to the audio study guide passively and then return and read and listen actively. If you routinely listen to podcasts or audiobooks while working, try listening to the audio study guide.
- What time of day do you study? We are not all the same, and neither are our study habits, so choose what works for you.
- Do you like to take practice exams? There are valuable online sites that give sample ACAMS test questions and sample ACAMS quizzes; a quick Google search will lead you to a wealth of study resources.
One size does not fit all, so examine your preferences to determine which study method suits you.